.com has established itself as the king of the domain market. It is considered as the most precious domain extension for websites. But what makes it the best domain extension? Additionally, what is the difference between other popular domains like .com vs .org & .com vs .net.
It is a top-level domain in the Domain Name System (1) of the Internet and was added back in 1985 as an exclusive domain for commercial organizations.
In this article, we’ll be providing answers to all your .com related questions like what does .com mean, what .com stand for, etc.
What does .com mean?
Suffix .com meaning commercial is the most popular and well-known domain extension used worldwide. Added back in 1985, the .com (2) domain suffix, derived from the word commercial, originated with the purpose of being linked with commercial organizations. Subsequently, the domain was opened to be bought for all.
Note: Symbolics.com (3) was the first-ever .com domain that was created on 15th March 1985.
What does .com stand for?
The .com domain suffix stands for commercial as it was launched exclusively for domain organizations initially. The top-level domain extension was initially administered by the United States Department of Defense (4) but is operated by Verisign (5).
.com vs .org
The .org domain suffix has been derived from the word organization and was originally intended for non-profit entities. Even today, the .org domain extension is usually preferred by non-profit organizations and trade associations.
These are the points of differences between .com & .org (.com vs .org):
- Popularity: The .com extension is over 10 times more popular and preffered by firms than .org.
- SEO: It is believed that the .com extension often outranks .orgin SEO purposes. It, however, cannot be verified as there are multiple theories revolving around this topic.
- Trustability & Reliability: Both, .com & .org are considered to be trustable and crediable domain extensions.
.com vs .net
The .net domain suffix has been derived from the word network was initially launched as a domain suffix for internet service providers, infrastructure companies & network solution providers.
These are the points of differences between .com & .net (.com vs .net):
- Popularity: The .net extension is over 10 times more popular and preffered by firms than .net.
- SEO: The domain suffix forms a minor part of SEO rankings. However, a business holding a .com extension will be preferred by consumers over a .net domain and vice versa.
- Trustability & Reliability: The .com domain extension is often considered as a more trustable and credible domain.
We hope we were able to provide you with the apt answers for all your .com domain extension related questions. Users often use the .com extension as an interchangeable suffix for websites, making it the number 1 top-level domain.