- 30 Business Analyst Interview Questions you should know
Any business analyst course like Business Analyst would help you understand the business policies, operations, structure of an organization. The primary role of any business analyst job or internship is to suggest improvements to achieve various goals of any organization. Here are some of the most common and best business analyst interview questions and answers to help you prepare for your interview.
1. What is the critical role of various business analyst jobs in the market?
A role of a BA is one of the most common business analyst interview questions. A vital function of a business analyst is to create a bridge between the various stakeholders of an organization. He connects them to clarify and finalize the requirements of any project of an organization. Further, he requires to help the project team with planning, designing, and validating the component developed. He demands to possess adequate domain knowledge and have the skills to sort the business requirements to the stakeholders belonging to separate domains.
2. Name the tools that you have learned in your business analyst course that are helpful for your job
The tools for business analysis are Rational tools (1), Microsoft OfficeSuite, and ERP systems.
3. Why should we pay you your expected business analyst salary? What makes you unique for this job?
You can answer such business analyst interview questions like this, “I am technically sound, and I can make strong connections with the customers. I can use my knowledge and information along with my people’s skills, to build a user-friendly environment.” Answer this question creatively, because your interviewer will test your experience, skills, and individuality through your answers.
4. List out documents required by Business Analyst in a project
There are various documents we can use as a BA:
- Functional Specification
- Technical Specification
- Business Requirement
- Use Case Diagram
- Requirement Traceability
5. What do you mean by a Misuse Case?
When a user’s activity causes system failure, including a malicious action, it misguides the function flow. This situation misguidance is what we call a misuse case. It is another most common business analyst interview questions to check your skills and knowledge.
6. What is the meaning of Use Case?
It is a diagrammatic representation of a system to describe a user using a system to accomplish a goal or task. It is one of the core parts of software engineering and software modeling techniques to indicate the targeted features and the resolution of a possible error a user is likely to encounter.
7. Name the different techniques used for requirement prioritization
Here are the names of various techniques used for requirement prioritization:
- MoSCoW technique
- Requirements Ranking Method
- 100dollar method
- Kano Analyses
- Five Whys
8. How would you define requirement prioritization?
Requirements prioritization is a process to allocate a requirement based on business urgency as per different phases, schedule, cost, and more. Another common business analyst interview questions to determine the interviewee’s skillsets.
9. Tell us something about the Gap Analysis
Gap Analysis is a technique from which you can analyze the gap between the existing system and functionalities and the targeted system. It defines the amount of task or change that is required to get the intended result. You can also call it a performance level comparison between the present and the proposed functionalities.
10. List of skills a BA must possess
As a BA, one can categorize the required skill sets in three types;
- Fundamental skills; problem-solving, communication, management, research
- Technical skills; IT skills, operating system, programming, database knowledge, SDLC and domain knowledge
- Business Analysis skills; requirement elicitation, documentation, decision making, creativity, analytical skills
Give creative answers to such complicated business analyst interview questions to stand out.
11. What is the quality requirement of a BA?
A Business Analyst can measure the quality requirement using SMART rule;
12. What documents does Business Analyst require to capture non-functional requirements?
A Business Analyst requires System Design document and Functional Requirement Document to capture non-functional requirements.
13. How would you explain other flow in the use case diagram?
If there is any failure in the system, one can use it as an alternative solution or activity.
14. What do you mean by INVEST?
INVEST stands for:
- Sized Appropriately
15. What is the use of INVEST?
INVEST helps the project managers and technical team for the delivery of quality products and services.
16. How would you define BPMN?
Business Process Model and Notation is the full form of BPMN. A Business Analyst can use it for a graphical representation of business processes.
17. What are the elements of BPMN?
There are five essential elements of BPMN:
- Flow Objects
- Connecting Objects
18. Provide us the different types of gap that a BA may encounter while performing a GAP analysis.
Here are the four types of GAP;
- Performance GAP
- Product or Market GAP
- Profit Gap
- Manpower GAP
Use such business analyst interview questions to show off your knowledge about the subject.
19. What is the meaning of Benchmarking?
Benchmarking is an analysis to measure the performance of an organization to stay in the industrial competition. A company measures its policies, achievements, and other measures during benchmarking.
20. Name various diagrams that a BA should know
There are various diagrams a BA could use in his work:
- Activity Diagram
- Data Flow Diagram
- Use Case Diagram
- Class Diagram
- Entity Relationship Diagram
- Sequence Diagram
- Collaboration Diagram
Give smart answers to such business analyst interview questions along with a resourceful business analyst resume.
21. Tell us the difference between Fish Model and V Model.
The fish model requires more dealing time compared to the V model. It is also quite expensive compared to the V model. However, it is most preferred when you don’t have any uncertainties in the requirements.
22. Please tell us the steps required to develop a product from a basic idea
There are many steps a BA need to follow to develop a product from an idea;
- Market Analysis
- SWOT Analysis
- Competitor Analysis
- Prioritize Features
23. What are the main attributes of Kano Analysis?
Here are the main attributes for the Kano Analysis
- Threshold Attributes
- Performance Attributes
- Excitement Attributes
24. Waterfall Model and Spiral Model; Which model do you think is better?
You can select any model for a project according to its type, scope, and limitations. It depends on the culture, term, conditions, policies, a process for developing the system, etc., of an organization.
Give your best and honest opinion for such business analyst interview questions to show your transparency.
25. How would you handle a difficult stakeholder?
Handling a problematic stakeholder is one of the significant tasks of a BA. There are specific ways to manage this situation.
- Identifying the difficult stakeholder
- Listening and concentrating their point of view with patience
- Answering their questions and discomfort in a diplomatic way
- Having a one-on-one discussion with them to show your commitment
- Finding and working towards resolving their motivation
- Continuous engagement with such difficult stakeholder
- Making them understand their contribution and its value for the project
Interviewers ask such business analyst interview questions to test your abilities and knowledge.
26. When would you, as a Business Analyst, say that the requirements are complete?
A Business Analyst would consider a requirement done when it satisfies specific criteria like;
- Alignment of the requirement with the objective
- Complete extractions of the possible views and ideas of key stakeholders
- The quality of the requirement is according to the company’s set of criteria’s
- Comprehensive utilization of possible available resources
- Consent of stakeholders with the gathered requirements
27. How would you define Risk?
Risk is a problem that can be predicted earlier in a way that we can prepare improvement plans to handle them. A BA’s role is to suggest such methods to control any damage that may happen. A Ba can also mark it as a precautionary measure for other projects.
28. What are the possible causes of scope creep?
Below two are the possible causes for scope creep;
- Poor communication among the stakeholders of a project
- Lack of proper documentation of a project’s requirements
29. What do you mean by BRD?
A BRD or a Business Requirements Document is a formal contract for a project between a customer and an organization.
30. List problems you may face as a Business Analyst
Here are the problems a business analyst may face;
- Employee related issues
- Technology-related issues
- Access related issues
- Business policies related issues
- Business model errors and other related issues
Make an impression by giving unique answers to such business analyst interview questions.
As a Business Analyst, you have to convince your employer that you are a professional who would start contributing your valuable thoughts and ideas from your first day of joining. Make sure your interviewers see your abilities to provide outputs required for the product development and its application.